Calgary, it doesn’t matter if this summer is just going to be staycation-central due to COVID-19 because the sun still shines brightly over our big skies!
That’s why, this July, we here at SkinScience are going to be detailing everything you could ever want to know about sun protection. Be sure to follow us on both Facebook and Instagram for science-backed sun protection factoids throughout the month, and keep reading to learn SkinScience Clinic’s sun protection tips, tricks, facts, and recommendations!
SkinScience-Endorsed Sun Protection Tip of the Month: The Less Stuff You Put On Your Skin, the Better!
“Marie,” you may be thinking, “what in the world are you talking about?!” To which I’ll put it this way: one of the many well-documented topics in SkinScience’s blog section is the idea that, similarly to how you wouldn’t wear the same outfit through all four seasons, your at-home skin care routine needs to adapt accordingly to the weather.
Meaning? That you shouldn’t be slathering your skin with heavy products; instead, keep it light and let your skin breathe by prioritizing your daytime skin care routine. Which ingredients? Well…
SkinScience-Endorsed Sun Protection Product Recommendations of the Month: Antioxidants and Mineral Sunscreens
Brace yourself for the truth bomb that is about to be dropped on you. Ready? Okay.
Some sunscreens trigger more wrinkles and fine lines than they prevent. Yes, really! We here at SkinScience Clinic know that it sounds unbelievable. The reasoning? Chemical SPF ingredients, namely Avobenzone and Octocrylene, may produce free radicals while they absorb UV rays. It’s crazy, we know! To dodge this skin care bullet, we highly recommend opting for a mineral sunscreen instead; your skin will thank you for picking one starring zinc oxide and titanium dioxide!
“What about antioxidants?” you may be wondering. Layering antioxidants in a serum beneath your sunscreen is a fantastic way to enhance your sunscreen’s protection while soothing inflammation, acne, or visible signs of aging. Depending on your skin’s needs, we here at SkinScience Clinic recommend that you choose one of the following to layer beneath your sunscreen of choice:
- SkinCeuticals’s CE Ferulic or Aliquote Skin’s Advanced Youth Complex. Both star Vitamin C, which shields skin from damaging free radicals and helps to lighten hyperpigmentation and age spots.
- If you grapple with dry skin, Aliquote Skin’s Soothing Lipid Repair works to restore a healthy skin barrier and retains moisture long-term via its powerful inclusion of antioxidants Lipochroman and Vitamin E.
- Lightweight and packed with antioxidant green tea, Aliquote Skin’s SensiCalm Lotion soothes irritated skin and calms the appearance of redness and acne scars.
- For those of you craving plump, well-hydrated skin, Aliquote Skin’s HydraLift Infusion’s gel formula fends off detrimental HEV and blue light (on top of visible fatigue and weather-related damage.) while having strong antioxidant effects from the inclusion of Lipochroman and natural fruit extracts.
SkinScience-Endorsed Sun Protection Fact of the Month: The Difference Between Ultra Violet Rays (and Why it Matters!)
Not all sun protection is created equal: learning the difference between UVA, UVB, and UVC is crucial when contemplating your daily sun protection plan.
- UVC: As strong cancer-causing UV rays, UVCs are (thankfully) absorbed by the ozone layer but can be found in man-made items such as sanitizing bulbs and mercury lamps.
- UVB: the top cause of sunburns, brown spots and sun-related skin damage, UVBs can negatively impact unprotected skin in as little as 15 minutes.
- UVA: found both naturally and in tanning beds, UVAs penetrate both glass and clouds and are the chief perpetrator of visible signs of aging such as wrinkles and laxity.
The takeaway? Plan your sun protection regimen around what time of day you’re planning on heading out and how long you’ll be out for. With that being said, don’t skimp out on sunscreen just because you’ll be indoors: those aging rays can and will reach you, so slather on that sunscreen to save yourself grief in the long-run!
SkinScience-Endorsed Sun Protection Trick of the Month: Cover Up!
It’s so deceivingly simple, we know, but it’s one of Marie’s favourites! After all, think about it this way: the less stuff you put on your skin, the better.
By covering up when you can (even if that means a cover-up when you’re not swimming or a wide-brimmed hat when you’re out in the garden), you dodge having to reapply your sunscreen as frequently as if you had no clothing protection at all.
In Short: Start Getting Serious About Your Sun Protection, Calgary!
Stay beautiful throughout your staycation this summer, Calgary, and be sure to keep an eye out for future blogs all about how to get the most out of your sun protection. Plus? Reach out today to talk to Marie Bertrand, SkinScience’s founder and skin care authority, or book one of our top-selling summer-ready dermaplaning treatments!